Sunday, February 17, 2008

Kansas City Here I Come

I just got back from a great little weekend getaway with my hubby and two other adults - I stress two other adults, because this was the first time I have taken a weekend getaway with no children. It was weird at first, because my brain has been re-wired since the birth of my son - 7 and a half years ago - to be constantly thinking about his whereabouts, his well-being, his breakfasts, lunches and dinners, etc. When he got a little carsick the day before the trip I even felt a little sense relief that I wouldn't have to go on the trip after all and leave my son in someone elses care. And that's when it hit me - I NEED to go on a trip. With just my husband and two adults. And no kids. For MY sake. For my husband's sake. Just to get in touch with me - the adult, the woman, the musician, the friend.

I left my son with one of my oldest and dearest girlfriends and her wonderful husband who have kids my sons age, and who I trust with my life. Day one - drove 3 hours, checked into the beautiful hotel, napped, watched some tv - worried about my son - called to make sure he was ok, and soon realized he was having the time of his life with his buddies. My brain let go and I enjoyed the rest of the trip. The rest of Day 1, and Day 2, we went to restaurants, saw a movie, drank wine, listened to a fabulous Kansas City jazz band, relaxed, smooched my husband, and started to feel refreshed. Day 3, we drove home through an ice storm, but made the best of it, glad that my son was safe and warm without a care in the world, and probably missing me, but only very litttle.

I got to my friends house to pick up my son - he wasn't ready to go, just having so much fun.

We're going to do this again soon.

No comments: