Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I've Got Dreams...and Buddy Miles...to Remember

I saw Buddy Miles perform at the University that I would attend less than a decade later. He was the embodiment of blues, soul, R&B, funk, and he could sing and drum like nobody 's business. One of my crazier friends, T.G., had been "turned on" to Buddy Miles by some of her pals from Boystown. T.G., knowing the budding musician that only she recognized that I was in those early years, said "We are going to see Buddy Miles."

I had no idea who Buddy Miles was. I didn't know his music. He wasn't played on the radio stations I listened to. But there he was - this larger than life drummer, who hailed from Omaha - sweating up a storm - singing from his core... let me tell you, he was the rhythm in Rhythm and Blues - and he changed the way I heard music for the rest of my life.

Buddy's songs, and Buddy's versions of Buddy's songs, -"Down By the River", "Them Changes", "I Still Love You", "Dreams (I've Got Dreams To Remember)" became the soundtrack of my 14. I could tell you every note he sang, and could also tell you every skip and flaw in the album, that resulted from constant replays with a cheapo stereo needle. His songs were covered by many artists including Neil Young, Carlos Santana, Ramsey Lewis, King Curtis, Big John Hamilton in a duet with Doris Allen, Lionel Hampton, Paul Humphrey, Allman Brothers and others, but to me Buddy was the king of his creations. Buddy recorded with Jimi Hendrix and then went out on his own, leaving musical marks on the world, unbeknownst to the massses, but highly respected by those who knew better.

Years later, a commercial aired featuring "The California Raisins" - I knew that voice had to belong to the one and only Buddy Miles. Yes!! A whole new generation would come to know and love Buddy Miles, even if they never got to see him, they "felt" him - and they "got" him.

Many years back, I attempted to find "Buddy Miles"on the internet - tried to track him down to see if - and if, where - he would be performing, and to see if any of those old vinyl LP's that I had wore out as a kid had been reissued on CD - to my delight, I found a CD, ordered it and introduced my husband and young aspiring drummer son to the greatness of Buddy Miles. When I finally found him, I told him he really should get a website :)

Just this week, while penning a new song for an upcoming performance of mine, I kicked off the tune with a groove similar to the intro to "Dreams" - I played it for my husband and said "This one is completely inspired by Buddy Miles."

Today, Gene called to tell me Buddy Miles died yesterday. My younger years flashed in front of me as if I were 14 all over again. Tonight at dinner we prayed for his family, and thanked God for letting this beautiful spirit that was Buddy Miles roam the earth and touch our lives and hearts for the 60 short years that he was here.

Rest in peace, Buddy. I'll remember.

No comments: