Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Setting Goals on a Dry Erase Board

Ten or so years ago, I purchased a huge dry-erase board. It has been the center focus of my office, in the last 3 places I have lived. I started it in a January, and wrote all of my short term (1 year) and long term (2-5 year) goals and things that I need/hope to accomplish on the board . As the year progresses, I refer to the board regularly, not always consciously, but it's always there. At the beginning of the new year, my brother and I visit the board, check off all the things we accomplished, re-assess what wasn't, and set new goals for the year. Then we high five all that was accomplished and wipe the board clean and start anew. (This year, cuz we've been so dang busy, we weren't able to get to this til yesterday, but I'm glad it was somewhere in the first quarter).

WOW!! We accomplished over 95% of the things we set out to do last year!!! What an amazing feeling!!! As we wiped clean each goal met, I felt amazingly proud! I had to pull my hubby and son in the room just to show them how empty the board was!!!

2007 was a great year (and a quarter!) And 2008, even with the Writer's strike, we are kickin' butt in the goals department. By the way, "finding other Moms online that are in business" was one of my goals - and it was one of the happiest goals I've met this year! I've met so many new friends - it is wonderful! The other on the top of my list - win a Grammy for 2009 - I am now an official voting member for the Academy, as of yesterday!! "Stardust" will be submitted for Grammy consideration at the latter half of the year.

And, yes, I am already practicing my acceptance speech - but, as the old saying goes, I'll be happy just to be nominated!! ;)

No comments: